Higher Costs to Electric Ratepayers
- Ohio has traditional assisted families that cannot afford their utility bills with payment assistance, payment plan, and weatherization programs.
- The General Assembly has traditionally favored weatherization funding over payment assistance because it is a permanent solution.
- After weatherization, many of the households no longer need assistance to afford their utility bills.
- If low income weatherization is eliminated there will be a greater need for bill payment assistance; bad debt and disconnections will increase; and families could be uprooted from their homes, schools and jobs.
Increased Use of Medical Services
Weatherizing homes is proven to have a positive effect on the health of the families living in them. These benefits will be lost for 10,000 Ohio homes a year.
- Weatherization identifies and corrects problems that can result in carbon monoxide poisonings.
- Energy efficient homes are less likely to rely on unsafe heating methods which reduces the instances of house fires.
- Energy efficient homes have lower utility bills which eliminates the choice between heating your home and feeding your family or buying medications.
- Residents of weatherized homes report fewer emergency room visits, fewer missed workdays, and lower medical costs.
Increasing Energy Usage Undermines the Intent of HB 6
- Increased energy use translates into higher wholesale energy prices.
- Increase energy use means more hazardous emissions.